The PhD fellowship will focus on research projects that are integrated in the main-stream priorities for space sciences in Portugal. These thematic lines (the contact of the thematic line leader is also provided) correspond to:
- Towards the detection and characterization of other Earths (namely, the study of solar-system atmospheres, detection of exoplanets, characterization of exoplanetary systems, etc): Dr. Nuno C. Santos
- Towards a comprehensive study of stars (namely, characterization of stars and stellar systems, exploring new stellar physics, etc): Prof. Mário J. P. F. G. Monteiro
- The assembly history of galaxies resolved in space and time (namely, super-massive black holes at the earliest times, the secular evolution of galaxies and the buildup of their structural components, the development of tools for the interpretation of galaxy radiative output, etc): Dr. José Afonso
- Unveiling the dynamics of the Universe (namely, cosmology and fundamental physics with the Euclid satellite, cosmological tests of fundamental theories, etc): Prof. Pedro Avelino
- Space and Ground Systems and Technologies (namely, optical metrology for space and astronomy & astrophysics instrumentation, new data reduction techniques, etc): Prof. José Rebordão
A list of available PhD topics, distributed between these thematic lines, will be made available in each call for the successful candidates to select their individual research project and supervisors.